UAS conducts several institution-wide surveys of students, including three engagement surveys of students and faculty and an annual survey of ISU alumni.
It is recommended that UAS be contacted before conducting a program or institution-level survey. Survey fatigue is a significant issue. Competing surveys could duplicate efforts and discourage students from completing surveys in the future.
University Assessment Services provides assistance with the creation and distribution of online surveys. As long at the purpose of the survey is for assessment, evaluation, and improvement, UAS provides support at no cost. UAS primarily uses Qualtrics. When selecting a survey application, it is important to consider accessibility, data security, analysis, and other dynamics. Please visit this website for a list of survey applications supported at ISU: https://about.illinoisstate.edu/surveyoptions/
Contact UAS at (309) 438-2135 or Assessment@IllinoisState.edu for more information.
Resources on Surveys
- UAS Survey Checklist. Checklists provide a framework for project completion and ensure essential tasks are addressed.
- Sample Size Calculator & Help (Qualtrics)
- Sample Sizes and Assessment (Clemson University)
Inclusivity and Demographics
- Guidance on asking inclusive demographic questions in surveys.
- More Than Numbers: A Guide Toward Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion in Data Collection, Charles & Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation
Data Visualization and Presentation
- Data Visualization Vocabulary (Tableau)